SSD Freaks was a news portal I ran between 2010 and 2012, back when SSDs were in their infancy. Prior to this portal, I previously wrote news on optical drives (CDs, DVDs, etc), media and related topics for CDFreaks. With optical media dying off and the former manager changing the name change to Myce, I decided to leave the site and have a go at running my own portal in a hope of recreating a similar experience with the SSD boom.
Unfortunately, despite writing news daily and announcing every SSD review I came across, a year later the average story got 10 views within 24 hours of posting. Basically, a rural community newsletter would get more readers than the number of visitors this site got in a typical day. For anyone wondering if I had too many ads/banners/pop-ups, the answer was zero! I fully paid for the hosting and continue to remain ad-free even on the blog here.
The only article that did well on SSD Freaks was a guide I posted on cloning a hard disk to SSD with the Windows 7 backup utility, which I moved to this blog. In fact, what I learned is that general blog writing attracts far more interest than writing stories about existing news or reviews, hence why I continue to write articles in my spare time, just not on SSDs. 😉
When the original founder DoMiN8ToR returned to Myce in 2012, I decided to return to the site and now look after any technical issues on their forum. You’ll find me there, username Sean with a cockatiel avatar.
Archived content from SSD Freaks
Before taking the SSD Freaks offline, I looked at the past few months of activity. For any story, article, etc. that got 5 or more views in a month, I copied it into a post on Myce. I placed the two most popular guides on this blog, i.e. the first two in the list below.
Articles & Guides
- How to clone HDD to SSD with Windows 7′s own software
- How to convert MBps to IOPS or calculate IOPS from MB/s
- SSD Tips, Tricks & Choosing the right SSD
- WordPress 3.1 Broken Tags/Categories culprit found
- OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB quick review with real world Netbook tests
- A guide to SSD reviews and Real World vs. Synthetic tests
- Beware of fake USB flash drives & memory cards!
- OCZ Technology ships its one millionth SSD
- SanDisk ships SanDisk Ultra SSD series to retailers
- Intel to launch 320 SSD series (Postville Refresh) mid April
- Intel set for early launch of 320 series Postville Refresh
- SandForce 2000 models compared @ Benchmark Reviews
- Modern SSDs self-destroy court evidence
- Super Talent unveil fast (mini) PCIe SSDs, due for March
- Is it better to use AHCI or IDE mode for SSDs?
- WordPress 3.1 categories “Error 404 Not Found” issue & fix
- Greenliant announces shipping of its 2-8GB SLC NANDrive
- SanDisk launches U100 & i100 SATA3 SSDs
- RunCore to showcast its latest SSD range at CeBIT 2012
- Corsair Performance Pro aims to battle the competition
- Seagate Momentus XT freezing/stuttering & workaround
- SanDisk launches HyperX with adjustable spare area
- TRIM’s catch – Data recovery impossible!
- OCZ unveils Agility 3 & Solid 3 series, inc. AS SSD results