I write articles and participate on discussion forums to pass the time. Generally anything data storage related I write about goes on Myce. Everything else I write about usually ends up here. If you have a comment or question, just post it in the comment field below the relevant article.
To preview each article starting with latest, head to this page.
These are all purchased products, so the manufacturer has no influence on what I write. 😉
- Meaco 20L Low Energy Dehumidifier review – Great with a few niggles
- Google Music vs Spotify – What I like and problems
- Philips Senseo HD7829 review – Coffee at 1/3 cost of capsules
- Tefal Actifry Review with various chips, fast food & cleaning
- Trotec 75S vs 100S dehumidifier at 20C 60% RH and desiccant comparison
- Stanley Erin stove review and which coal works best for us
How to guides
If I had trouble finding information on something or figured out a easier way than what I came across elsewhere, I write about it here.
- How to fix slow Wi-Fi on the Eir F2000 (Android / IPv6 DNS issue)
- How to convert DOC to DOCX without compressing images
- How to change a Samsung fridge freezer 40W light bulb
- How to configure an unused Eir F2000 router as a Wi-Fi access point
- How to kill pesky flies – Fly Swatter, Zapper, Spray,..?
- Measure relative humidity using an infrared thermometer
- How to make tasty crispy home-made chips
- Balancing radiators without thermometers
- Audio Video Sync, Alignment & Latency Test
- How to invert brightness-only (not colours) in GIMP
Wireless 3G/4G broadband
A potential alternative to slow DSL and fixed wireless connections or a cheaper alternative to a broadband contract, e.g. Holiday home. I regularly update the ‘Largest 4G plans’ article.
- DIY in-car Wi-Fi and data plan suggestions for use in Ireland
- 3G/4G antennas – Types, directional, MIMO, cables & connectors
- How to pick the right router for 3G/4G broadband
- Mobile broadband vs rural 5Mb DSL with real world tests
- Troubleshooting 3G/4G mobile broadband and antennas
- Irish mobile broadband SIM card APN settings
- Largest 4G plans for home broadband in Ireland
- Opinion: What would make a fair mobile broadband plan
Mobile handset data
My experience, including various tips and quirks with using the major Irish mobile networks, Three and Meteor. Note that Meteor is rebranding to Eir.
- Dial to buy a Three 500MB add-on and other prepay credit uses
- Improve coverage, data bundles, etc. with a dual SIM phone
- Meteor data Simplicity plan quirks and performance
- How to force Three to use 3G and 4G only (Android)
- Three using LTE Band 20 (800MHz) and throttling downloads
Indoor climate control
Various ways of heating and cooling a room and controlling humidity. This includes unusual ideas such as whether a desiccant dehumidifier can replace a heater. My blog originally started off with the article on keeping cool. Back then I found countless sponsored articles basically trying to sell products.
- What heater? Oil-filled, fan, ceramic, halogen, gas, paraffin, bioethanol…
- How effective is a desiccant dehumidifier for room heating?
- Electric dehumidifier running costs vs moisture absorber and silica gel
- Dehumidifier Frequently Asked Questions
- Air conditioner, air cooler, dehumidifier or fan – What works?
Diagnostics and tools such as measuring latency and real world throughput.
- Servers that respond to ping requests around the world
- Why do all the speed test websites differ, which to use?
Miscellaneous / Archive
- Solar water heating payback vs replacing the hot water tank
- Reverse charge premium rate SMS sign-up theories and opinion
- FM radio stations picked up in Letterkenny with Tecsun PL-606
- Storing solar power in batteries costs more than the grid
- Nokia Maps hidden charges (Symbian OS)
- Barbecue cooking: Flame Tamer vs. Lava Rock
- CD Freaks is history – Why not Computer Drive Freaks?
- SSD Freaks – Archived articles, guides and news stories
- Seán’s Reviews on MyCE